FIFA to encourage co-hosting for 2026 World Cup

first_imgDOHA, Qatar (Reuters) – The 2026 soccer World Cup could be split between up to four countries, FIFA president Gianni Infantino said yesterday, announcing the organisation would encourage applications to co-host the tournament.“We will encourage co-hosting for the World Cup because we need FIFA to show we are reasonable and we have to think about sustainability long-term,” Infantino said.“(We could) … maybe bring together two, three, four countries who can jointly present a project with three, four, five stadiums each. We will certainly encourage it. Ideally the countries will be close to each other.”His remarks could open the way to a joint bid from the United States, Canada and Mexico, which have already said they intend to hold discussions over the possibility.At the end of last year Victor Montagliani, president of the CONCACAF federation that the three countries belong to, said he expected formal discussions to start once “all the rules and regulations” related to the bid were announced.Concern has been raised about the financial burden placed on a single tournament host, and the bad publicity generated by stadiums built and then abandoned after use.The only time FIFA has previously sanctioned co-hosting was in 2002 when Japan and South Korea staged a tournament that was widely heralded as a success.The idea has taken off at the European Championship, with Belgium and the Netherlands co-hosting in 2000, Austria and Switzerland in 2008 and Poland and Ukraine in 2012. The next tournament in 2020 has been designated as Pan-European and is due to be staged in 13 cities in 13 counties.Swedish FA chair Karl-Erik Nilsson quickly backed co-hosting for the World Cup too.“It’s a good idea, and Europe has of course previously worked in this way on the European Championships,” he said.“We are used to it and it works well, it makes it possible for more countries to arrange (tournaments), and in that way it is positive.”But there is likely to be opposition from fans’ groups, given the higher cost involved in following a team through different countries.Joint hosting could also raise security concerns.Brazil’s Maracana, which staged the last World Cup final in 2014, has become unusable in recent months, sitting with rusting gates and with a badly damaged playing area following a dispute over repair costs and redevelopment.last_img read more

ACC will send representative to Syracuse’s NCAA hearing, Swofford confirms

first_img Published on October 29, 2014 at 2:09 pm Contact Jesse: jcdoug01@syr.edu | @dougherty_jesse CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The Atlantic Coast Conference will send a representative to Syracuse’s NCAA hearing this week, ACC commissioner John Swofford confirmed at media day in Charlotte, North Carolina on Wednesday.Syracuse officials are scheduled to appear at a hearing Thursday and Friday and SU head coach Jim Boeheim, Chancellor Kent Syverud and Director of Athletics Daryl Gross have been invited, among others, according to The Post-Standard.Swofford gave an opening statement before he was peppered with questions about the recent news out of North Carolina and Syracuse and briefly addressed the Syracuse situation.“The NCAA has asked us not to talk about ongoing investigations,” Swofford said. “Anytime one of our schools has a compliance issue, it’s a concern.”Swofford doesn’t believe that the recent reports on the Orange and Tar Heels are greatly cutting into the conference’s reputation, which he worked to establish in his opening statement, which lasted 20-plus minutes.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBefore being asked about North Carolina and Syracuse, Swofford rattled off ACC basketball statistics to back his point of calling the conference the best collection of programs in college basketball history. After listing off first-place finishes in attendance, TV ratings, all-time NCAA tournament wins and so on, Swofford was quick to identify an area that the conference doesn’t want to attract national attention in.Said Swofford: “We want to have the least number of compliance issues.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

The Final Word: Beat writers discuss Syracuse’s 93-85 loss to No. 5 North Carolina

first_img Published on February 27, 2019 at 1:22 am Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Facebook Twitter Google+center_img CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Three days after then-No. 1 Duke handled Syracuse (18-10, 9-6 Atlantic Coast) in the Carrier Dome, the Orange were up three points to one of the hottest teams in the nation in No. 5 North Carolina (23-5, 13-2). Up 46-43, SU blew its slim halftime lead as Marek Dolezaj and Elijah Hughes fouled out near the conclusion of the game to end any hope of a comeback. Hughes scored 15 points — but was scoreless in the second half — and Syracuse was led by 29 points from Tyus Battle. UNC’s Coby White dropped 34 points on the Orange, including six 3-pointers.Here’s what our beat writers had to say about Syracuse’s loss.last_img

DOHERTY RE-SIGNS FOR HARPS

first_imgFULL-BACK James Doherty has signed on the dotted line for another season at Finn Harps.He has agreed a one-year deal after a superb 2010 with the Finn Park club.Last season the 22-year-old played every game for Harps and was voted Young Player of the Year. It was a superb turn in fortunes for James who had an indifferent start to his career.Meanwhile the Ulster Senior League will be sticking with summer football, despite a small minority wanting to return to winter games.And with weather like this, it seems the summer decision is the right one.DOHERTY RE-SIGNS FOR HARPS was last modified: December 20th, 2010 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more