WASHINGTON (AP) — A military coup in Myanmar and a mass crackdown on dissidents in Russia are presenting early tests for the Biden administration as it tries to reestablish American primacy as a worldwide pro-democracy leader. President Joe Biden and his nascent foreign policy team have been confronted with two serious challenges in two parts of the world. The U.S. has invested decades of time, energy and money into promoting democracy in both Myanmar and Russia but now faces challenges in each that could affect the global balance of power. Yet, the tools at its disposal — sanctions — have proved unreliable in prompting change in the past.
A grand opening ceremony was held Saturday evening. (Pat Smith/ Greensburg Daily News)GREENSBURG, Ind. – A brand new fire station is open and ready to serve the expanding community of Lake Santee.Funding for Fire Station No. 2 was made through various fundraising events and the 116-thousand dollar building is paid for, according to the Greensburg Daily News.Twenty-seven volunteers are ready to provide fire and EMS services to the approximate 500 homes in Lake Santee and surrounding communities.The newspaper reported that firefighters are currently raising money to purchase a fire truck.Along with the Clarksburg Community Volunteer Fire Department, the Lake Santee station serves parts of Decatur, Franklin and Rush counties adding up to approximately 5,000 people and one hundred square miles.
Hill will serve as an honorary coach for Mount. St. Joe’s (Image: Getty)LAWRENCEBURG, Ind. – Lauren Hill has played her last basketball game for Mount St. Joseph’s University.The Lawrenceburg graduate will now serve as an honorary coach for the team, her coach Dan Benjamin told Cincinnati’s WCPO-TV Wednesday night.Hill is battling a form of brain cancer and her story has transcended beyond the college sports world.The freshman made a basket Tuesday at home against The College of Wooster marking her tenth collegiate point.Hill launched the #LayUp4Lauren campaign which raises money for research and a cure for brain cancer.
CUBE has announced that the marketing agency is adding an esports division with the addition of Peter Stromberg as CEO, Esports Agent Erik Askered and former Counter Strike player Emil “HeatoN” Christensen as Senior Adviser.These additions come with a vast resume in esports as all are former employees of fellow agency Orlando John. Stromberg, as former CEO, now takes his title to CUBE while Christensen, who has been an Orlando John client since early 2017, will now apply his esports experience as an Adviser.From left: Olof Lindblom, Emil “HeatoN” Christensen, Christoffer Bergmann, Erik Askered, Peter Strömberg. Credit: CUBE E-SPORTSCUBE E-SPORTS CEO Peter Stromberg said he’s excited to continue working with Emil Christensen: “CUBE’s engine gives us an even better opportunity to keep producing qualitative content and their multi-platform-setup fits us perfectly. Emil has a unique network and is one of the largest names in the esport industry. To be able to continue working alongside him in this business investment is incredibly exciting and he will have a key role when it comes to our goal becoming the leading agency for esport in the Nordics.”CUBE currently represents top influencers in Scandinavia and now adds esports to their repertoire. As part of the announcement, it will reportedly release podcasts ‘E-Sportpodden’ and ‘NiPCast’ at the end of the month.CUBE CEO Olof Lindblom stated: “The esport community is extremely attractive and we will be taking a clear role as an agency, just like we have previously done within fashion, lifestyle and music. Peter, Erik and Emil are all truly dream recruitment’s when taking this step, and we have high ambitions having three of Sweden’s greatest experts join our team, also with the numerous strong formats they bring in overnight.”Speaking to Esports Insider, Senior Adviser Emil “HeatoN” Christensen added: “As a former pro player I’m well aware of the amount of hours you have to put into your practice, and tending to your own brand is not always something you have time for. That’s where we come in. I’m very excited to continue alongside CUBE and help both esport professionals and influencers improve their brand and collaborations through their multi-platform setup. “Esports Insider says: A solid esports division launch for CUBE as they’ve brought on prominent names to head the new department. It’s curious to see numerous members, especially the CEO, leave Orlando John to join, but with a veteran player and personality like HeatoN on board, we’ll be keeping our eyes on the goings-on at CUBE E-SPORTS.
The move follows a FIFA probe into Chelsea’s signing of foreign under-18 players, including the club’s former forward Bertrand Traore, a Burkina Faso international who now plays for French Ligue 1 club Lyon.Traore signed professional forms for Chelsea in 2013 at the age of 18 but was not registered until January the following year.French website Mediapart, quoting documents from Football Leaks, reported that FIFA found evidence that Chelsea had supplied misleading information about Traore’s signing and that he had made more than 20 appearances for the club at different age levels despite not being registered by the Football Association (FA).FIFA said Friday it was also fining the Football Association 510,000 Swiss francs for breaking the rules on signing minors.The world governing body gave the FA a period of six months to update its processes concerning international transfers and the registration of minors.The FA responded on Twitter, saying: “The FA notes the decision of the FIFA disciplinary committee published today. The FA has cooperated fully with FIFA’s investigations, although we have raised some concerns with FIFA regarding its disciplinary processes.“The FA intends to appeal the decision. We will however continue to work with FIFA and Chelsea in a constructive manner to address the issues which are raised by this case.”Share on: WhatsApp FILE PHOTO: Chelsea manager SarriLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Premier League club Chelsea have been banned from signing new players in the next two transfer windows as punishment for breaking rules on registering under-age players, FIFA said on Friday.It means the club — who immediately said they would appeal the decision — will be unable to make signings until the end of January next year.“The disciplinary committee sanctioned Chelsea with a ban on registering new players at both national and international level for the next two complete and consecutive registration periods,” FIFA said in a statement.In addition, Chelsea were fined 600,000 Swiss francs ($600,000, 530,000 euros) and given a period of 90 days to regularise the situation of the minor players concerned.The ban does not prevent players being released by the club and it does not apply to Chelsea’s women’s and futsal teams.Chelsea have been given three days to appeal against FIFA’s decision, which could prove highly damaging, for example preventing the club from signing a replacement for Eden Hazard if the star player leaves the club.“Chelsea FC categorically refutes the findings of the FIFA disciplinary committee and will therefore be appealing the decision,” said a statement on the club’s website.“Initially, Chelsea FC was charged… in relation to 92 players,” it added. “We welcome the fact that FIFA has accepted that there was no breach in relation to 63 of these players, but the club is extremely disappointed that FIFA has not accepted the club’s submissions in relation to the remaining 29 players.”