Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano The Los Angeles Times says the 56-year-old was ordered to complete a nine-month alcohol program and pay $390 in fines.Rodman was arrested Jan. 13 in Newport Beach after being pulled over for a traffic violation. Police said he failed field sobriety and breath tests.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkHis attorney, Paul Meyer, said the sentence reflects Rodman’s commitment to treatment. Meyer said the Hall of Famer has accepted responsibility for his sobriety. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Sea turtle trapped in net freed in Legazpi City MOST READ LATEST STORIES UK plans Brexit celebrations but warns businesses may suffer Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Mavericks’ Matthews likely out for season with leg fracture GALLERY: Barangay Ginebra back as PBA Governors’ Cup kings FILE – In this June 17, 2017, file photo, former NBA basketball player Dennis Rodman arrives at Beijing Capital International Airport in Beijing after a flight from Pyongyang. Rodman was sentenced to three years’ probation after pleading guilty to two misdemeanors stemming from a January DUI arrest in Southern California. Rodman pleaded guilty Monday, March 12, 2018, in Orange County to one count of driving under the influence of alcohol and one count of driving with a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit of .08 percent. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, File)LOS ANGELES — Former NBA star Dennis Rodman was sentenced to three years’ probation after pleading guilty to two misdemeanors stemming from a January DUI arrest in California.Rodman pleaded guilty Monday in Orange County to one count of driving under the influence of alcohol and one count of driving with a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit of .08 percent.ADVERTISEMENT View comments
Dear Editor,I noticed an opinion piece penned by my former high school teacher, GHK Lall, in a section of the media on the current House-to-House activity. I previously wrote to you when the exercise was commencing, stating that this exercise will eviscerate my right to vote in the upcoming General and Regional Elections.Mr Lall is claiming that this exercise will take six weeks, I would urge him, as he has urged me many times, to examine all the facts. Recently, I saw a release of the GECOM work plan which showed that the exercise would take us into early next year. After collecting the data, the fingerprints must be sent to Jamaica for processing into the database, which I understand takes two weeks. Any errors must then be sent back and the person then located to have errors corrected and then sent to Jamaica for a further two weeks.“A list that is current, accurate, credible and reliable and representative of all eligible Guyanese voters before all Guyanese is the only way to go”. I have researched this, doing House-to-House will not achieve this. My advice to Mr Lall is to urge those whom he is connected to to have a period of continuous registration – this is how I have registered. That way, all those who are fourteen and above will be added to the National Register of Registrants Database. Also, simultaneously have a period of Claims and Objections, so anyone with a dead grandmother on the list can take in her death certificate and remove her. This way, people like me, who currently live abroad, but have intentions of returning home during the term of the next elected government, can have a say.He is calling for political sensibility to prevail, I believe the Opposition has been nothing but generous on time, carrying on with a myriad of court rulings. The CCJ has been clear to respect the Constitution. I believe the Government is letting their hand of immaturity show, with their desperate cling to power. I call on my fellow young people to observe what is happening. In 2015, we were promised this government of change and I have observed many of my classmates graduate UG and are still seeking employment.Concluding, he asked what the hurry is, well, the way I see it, a motion of no-confidence was passed since December 21 last year. We are a few months shy of a year since the Constitution dictates ninety days. How many ninety days have since passed? Surely he can see it’s the Government that is “defecating upon the Constitution”.I urge my fellow Guyanese, especially the youth, to see the farce at play, we don’t need a softer approach. We need to hold a hard-line and demand the Government to call elections as mandated by our Constitution— which was subsequently supported by the highest Court of the land.Regards,Nutana Singh
NEC Chairman Cllr. Jerome G. Korkoya (center) has two religious leaders — Dr. Olu Q. Menjay (left) and Sheikh Ali Krayee (right) calling for his recusal from the remainder of the electoral process, citing gross incompentency-Eminent Clerics join calls for his recusalTension has continued to mount on the embattled chairman of the National Elections Commission (NEC), Jerome George Korkoya, to recuse himself from the entire electoral process as demanded by the opposition Liberty Party (LP).The latest call came yesterday from two of the country’s eminent religious leaders, who said Korkoya just has to rescue himself, not just from presiding over cases brought before the commission by dissatisfied parties including the LP, but also from the rest of the electoral process.In a joint press statement issue in Monrovia yesterday, Dr. Olu Q. Menjay, president of the Liberia Baptist Missionary and Education Convention (LBMEC), and Sheikh Ali Krayee, National Chief Imam of Liberia, called on Korkoya to abandon his position as head of the country’s electoral process, because he was not qualified to hold such a position.The two clerics said that Korkoya’s inability to address many of the burning concerns raised ahead of the October 10, 2017 presidential and legislative elections, prove that he does not understand the technical know-how and the leadership ability to execute the tasks assigned to him as chair of the NEC.Since the end of the October 10 polls, the NEC has recorded a total of 56 complaints emanating from the conduct of the polls in the 15 counties.There are also concerns in many quarters that Korkoya might have been responsible for the current stalemate to the electoral stand-off.The call from the two clergymen for Korkoya to bow out of the NEC appears far beyond the similar demand issued by the LP political leader, Charles Walker Brumskine, whose main cause was due to the fact that the NEC chairman had earlier prejudiced the LP’s complaint.In the statement, Dr. Menjay and Sheikh Krayee said, “We call on the Korkoya to honorably recuse himself from the electoral process, because he is not competent to conduct election as proven by the October 10 polls irregularities and reported frauds.”This gesture on his part, the prelates noted, would elevate the confidence level of the people in the electoral process. “We further request the NEC to correct all voters’ registry errors,” the statement said.The two religious leaders assured that the current legal process in resolving the “many glaring” electoral disputes are in the right direction, adding, “We therefore wish to encourage all parties to legal conflict to continue path of the law, which we believe is the best option to move forward.”As it is now, it seems that Korkoya’s case is beyond the cloud—and surely, it appears to be no ending moments of intense pressure on him until he bows out.He might have survived the dual citizen debacle that hovered over him for several months, probably because of the backing he had from President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, but the latest calls for his recusal seems to attack his competence and performance of the process so far.The clerics said they foresaw such program five months ago, when they registered their concerns relating to the voters’ registration exercise when the NEC chairman made a public pronouncement that anyone in possession of a voter card could vote in the October 10 elections.“We immediately saw his statement on this matter as a recipe for confusion. Our concern and dissatisfaction on his statement was mentioned on United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL) Radio in June, this year,” the statement said.Though Korkoya later retracted that pronouncement, the Clerics noted that “unfortunately, his retraction did not match the reality on October 10 as evidence by the numbers of complaints.“It is important to note that the bedrock of any credible election marks a certified voter registry. To our dismay, the voter registry was incomprehensible at many polling places. Just as in the case during the exhibition period, many voter-card-carrying people could not find their names on the registry,” the statement said.This embarrassing situation forced the NEC to resort to the unorthodox practice of allowing anyone with a voter card to vote, the religious leader indicated.“The fact that these issues were raised several months before the October 10 elections and that those matters were not rectified up to the day of election, proves that Korkoya is not up to the task, which the country entrusted to him.The statement also indicated that the huge number of invalid votes (over 80,000) is a clear indication that voter education was poorly implemented.“We commend the Liberian people for remaining peaceful and law-abiding and for their steadfastness in the electoral process. We pray that God Almighty will continue to protect us all,” it said.They lauded the overwhelming participation of the voters in the electoral process, indicating that the huge turnout is a testimony of their will to democratically elect the next leaders. We also thank our international partners for their contribution to the democratic process thus far.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
EDMONTON – The Correctional Service of Canada has fired four workers at Edmonton Institution following allegations of harassment, intimidation and bullying.A news release says Edmonton police are also looking into possible criminal activity at the maximum-security prison.Several staff were suspended last September, when the Correctional Service contracted investigators to look into the allegations.The release says additional investigations are ongoing and there will be other disciplinary hearings.The department also announced the appointment of a new regional deputy commissioner for the Prairies, France Gratton, and a new warden at Edmonton Institution, Gary Sears.Commissioner Don Head says employee misconduct will not be tolerated and his office is determined to improve workplace conditions.