University invites candidates to campus

first_imgIf Notre Dame has its way, the road to the White House may take a pass through South Bend. Notre Dame announced Monday that University president Fr. John Jenkins and student body president Brett Rocheleau have extended invitations to President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney to speak on campus during the fall election campaign, according to a University press release. Continuing a 60-year University tradition, Jenkins and Rocheleau addressed letters to each candidate offering the University as a “forum for serious political discussion,” the press release stated. The invitations are also open to both of the candidates’ running mates, Vice President Joe Biden and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.), according to the press release. The invitations are intended “to provide the campus community a firsthand impression of the contenders and their messages,” the release stated. University spokesman Dennis Brown said any appearances on campus would help continue the tradition of political discourse on campus. “Universities provide for the free exchange of ideas, and that’s especially important when it comes to electing our president,” he said. “We have a 60-year tradition of inviting candidates to Notre Dame every four years, and we’re hopeful that one or both campaigns will send either their presidential or vice presidential candidates to our campus.” Rocheleau, who also reached out to both campaigns earlier in the year via email, said he does not anticipate any timeline for a response. However, should any of the candidates accept, he said they will find a politically-balanced student body and an exceptional venue for political dialogue. “I think it would be interesting to have the candidates speak at Notre Dame because we are a place of intellectual curiosity,” he said. “We’re pretty evenly mixed [between political parties]. I think it would be an interesting opportunity to spark intellectual conversation and I’d love for them to come visit and speak.” Rocheleau said colleges and universities, especially a school like Notre Dame, offer a unique and important political avenue for the candidates to explore. “I think they can hear what students and younger voters are interested in, and the issues that we truly care about,” he said. “I think it would be beneficial for them to visit colleges, especially Notre Dame, where we can talk about some of the issues we really care about.” Notre Dame would benefit from a visit from any of the four candidates as well, Rocheleau said, as such an event would offer a means to spark important conversation. “I think it would, overall, go to fostering intellectual curiosity and intellectual conversation on campus,” he said. “I think having one or both of the candidates speak at Notre Dame would be a great opportunity for students, undergrads as well as graduates, to hear and to think about things that are social and political.” Notre Dame in particular has always been an academic institution heavily involved in the American political sphere, Rocheleau said. “[Look] back to [University President Emeritus] Fr. [Theodore] Hesburgh working for civil rights with Martin Luther King Jr., involvement with all the different presidents we have had in the past,” he said. “I think we have always had a tie to politics and the President of the United States.” Hesburgh started the tradition of inviting presidential and vice-presidential candidates to speak at Notre Dame during election years, according to the press release. He invited Dwight Eisenhower and Adlai Stevenson in his first year as University president, and both accepted. According to the press release, other candidates who have accepted the invitation to speak at Notre Dame include Richard Nixon, Henry Cabot Lodge, Warren Miller (a graduate of the University), Edmund Muskie, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Joe Lieberman. Notre Dame already has one significant election season event on the calendar. On Oct. 17, the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center will host one of the three Indiana gubernatorial debates. Libertarian Rupert Boneham, Democrat John Gregg and Republican Mark Pence are expected to participate in the event.last_img read more

Will Harry Styles Play Fiyero in the Wicked Movie?

first_img Related Shows “He’s top of the Wicked team’s wish list to play the romantic lead role of Fiyero,” a source told The Sun. “Moviemakers see him as a new Zac Efron and think he would be a perfect casting for a movie musical.” Of course, there are no solid plans for the Wicked movie to head into production anytime soon. By the time it does, who knows who’ll be the new Zac Efron or the new Harry Styles?  Billy Elliot director Stephen Daldry is rumored to be helming the long-brewing movie version of the tuner. It remains to be seen who will play the leading role of Elphaba in the flick, though Lea Michele undoubtedly loves the color green. Wicked We always knew he was a little Wicked (and would look amazing in tight white pants). Now Harry Styles might like a chance to dance through life in the big-screen adaptation of Broadway blockbuster Wicked, according to The Sun.center_img View Comments from $95.00last_img read more

Broome County ‘prepared’ for fall virus cases, other updates

first_imgBroome County June 18 coronavirus update However, Kaufman says she expects face masks to be worn to remain mandatory for the foreseeable future. (WBNG) — Broome County Department of Health Director Rebecca Kaufman says they county is prepared to handle an increase of active cases throughout the fall. Garnar says he would like to remind residents that there is no fee to use the parks. Additionally, Broome County Executive Jason Garnar says the county will work with Binghamton University, SUNY Broome and local schools to ensure a safe reopening in the fall. County parks Coronavirus updates There are 51 cases of the coronavirus in Broome County. 49 people have died from the virus and 524 people have recovered. She says the county will continue to use contact tracers when needed, despite the fact the number of active cases in the county are trending downwards. On Friday, beaches at Dorchester Park will open. After the beach reopens, all beaches in the county will be available to the public. She says face-mask use are one of the reasons the region has been able to reopen.last_img read more

Players are behind me, Di Matteo insists

first_imgInterim manager Roberto Di Matteo has insisted that Chelsea’s players are behind him.The former Blues midfielder shrugged off reports he is no more popular among the squad than Andre Villas-Boas, who was sacked last weekend following dismal results and reports of player unrest.  Chelsea beat Birmingham on Tuesday in his first match at the helm, leaving Di Matteo feeling upbeat ahead of this weekend’s Premier League clash with Stoke.AdChoices广告He said: “I have spoken to all the players individually over the last five days. They know what the task is and they are all on board.“I think you saw that from the reaction of the players on Tuesday. We now have to carry this on until the end of the season.”Di Matteo added: “It’s a collective responsibility when things aren’t going well. It touches everyone from the manager to the players and everyone at the club.“The players and I are confident and we believe we have the power and strength to achieve fourth place. ”Meanwhile, Di Matteo has confirmed that skipper John Terry could feature against Stoke after recovering from a knee problem.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

RFH Crew Shines at Championship Regatta

first_imgThe RFH Crew Mens Senior 4-plus team (left to right) Jonathan Decelle, Matt Baumer, coxswain Jason Post, Chris Cerruti and Dughan Ahimovic, pictured with Head Coach Mike Owdij, have qualified to advance to the Scholastic Rowing Associa­tion of America National Championships Regatta later this month.The Rumson Fair Haven crew team entered six boats and 32 athletes from novice to varsity in the the Garden State Scholas­tic Championships at Cooper River Park, Pennsauken.The RFH Crew Mens Senior 4-plus turned in an impressive performance which qualified them to advance to the Scho­lastic Rowing Associa­tion of America National Championships Regatta.This is the second consecutive year that an RFH crew boat has qualified for the national championship.Crew athletes representing 39 high school clubs from 36 cities across New Jersey met on the Cooper River for the state regatta.The Mens Senior 4-plus team, crewed by Dughan Ahimovic, Matt Baumer, Chris Cerruti, Jonathan Decelle and coxed by Jason Post, had a stellar performance.The RFH Crew Varsity men finished second in their qualifying heat, posting the third fastest qualifying time of the day of 5:25:04 for the event.This crew has displayed power and endurance through­out the season taking first place at the North Jersey Championship Regatta held earlier this month.In the much anticipated Mens Varsity 4-plus final, the men rowed strong and finished in third place, earning a bronze medal, with a time of 5:24.30, third overall in the state, qualifying for a trip to the national championships regatta which will be held May 25-26 at the Cooper River Park.The RFH Crew Womens Senior 4-plus crewed by Tessa Liberi, Suzanne McHeffey, Hope Knochenhauer, Jacqueline Moser and coxed by Shannon Swikart finished second in the qualifying heat with a time of 6:22.28 to advance to the finals in an attempt to qualify for their second straight SRAA Championship appearance.   However, it was not to be on this day as the women rowed well but did not place in the top four, finishing seventh overall in the state with a time of 6:32.40.last_img read more

Count Basie Theatre Names Interim CEO

first_imgBy Mary Ann BourbeauJustine Robertson has been named interim CEO of the Count Basie Theatre and the Count Basie Foundation, Inc.RED BANK – Justine Robertson spent many years commuting three hours to work. Her new commute is 10 minutes, and she couldn’t be happier. But it’s not just the commute making the Connecticut native happy – it’s the job itself. Robertson, who lives in Rumson, has been named interim CEO of the Count Basie Theatre and its fundraising arm, the Count Basie Foundation, Inc.“The Count Basie Theatre is a beautiful, historic building and, coupled with the restaurants in Red Bank, is the mainstay of arts and entertainment in the Two River area,” she said.Ray Moser, chairman of the Count Basie Theatre’s Board of Trustees, and Russ Lucas, chairman of the Count Basie Theatre Foundation’s Board of Directors, announced a realignment of the two organizations and named Robertson interim CEO of both. She began her new position on July 2. The Count Basie Theatre, Inc. is the nonprofit corporation that owns, manages and programs the Red Bank theater. The Count Basie Theatre Foundation is the nonprofit corporation dedicated to fundraising for the theater’s renovation, as well as its cultural and educational programming. Up until now, each organization had its own chief executive.“We believe that this will improve our ability to seamlessly integrate our programming, operations and fundraising,” said Moser.Robertson agrees. 
“I’m thrilled by this structure, bringing the two entities together as one,” she said. “Each has its function but they are also integrated. Hiring one CEO makes the integration much easier.”Mark Hodges, a former board member who has served as the interim CEO of the foundation since July 2011, left to take a permanent position as executive director of the Joseph Fund, a nonprofit multi-ministry foundation in Camden. Numa Saisselin, who has served as CEO of the Count Basie Theatre since 2002, remains as chief operating officer with continued responsibility for the operation, programming and restoration of the theater.While growing up in Hartford, Conn., Robertson’s family owned a chain of movie theaters and she fondly remembers visiting them to watch cartoons as a child. After earning a B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania and an MBA from Rutgers University, Robertson married and moved to Monmouth County. Her family eventually sold all but one of the theaters. In the early 1990s, her father suggested renovating the last one, the 1937 art deco-style Webster Theatre that her grandfather had built, and using it to host live shows.
“I was a tax director at the time and that was not fun,” she said. “This was the kind of business I could get excited about. It was a very special opportunity my father gave me.”She commuted between her homes in Monmouth County and Connecticut to serve as executive director of the Webster Theatre from 1994 to 2010, where she was in charge of booking, promotions, production and all theater operations. She formed a public/private partnership with the city of Hartford, enabling her to turn the theater into a 1,350-seat performance venue.“I completely immersed myself in the business,” she said. “I sold the theater a few years ago, and I’m very excited to be back in this business.”In the fall of 2011, Robertson’s husband, Lewis, heard that the Basie was looking to hire a new CEO to oversee both arms of the theater. He urged Robertson to apply for the job but she never did. He died unexpectedly a few months ago, and in dealing with her grief, Robertson, who has two grown children, decided to go after the job. 
“I think my husband would be really happy if he knew I was given this opportunity,” she said. “Every time I went back and forth to Connecticut, I would drive by the Count Basie and say I wish my job was here. Now I have that, and I would certainly be open to having this position become a permanent one.”Robertson envisions an expansion of programming, possibly skewing from a 30- and 40-year-old audience toward 25-year-olds.“Although we are very successful with what we have here, I think we can expand on that,” she said.“Younger people have a tendency to go to the theater more often and they will keep going to concerts when they are 35. I also want to concentrate on fundraising and expand our donor base.” Though the Count Basie Theatre has undergone a tremendous aesthetic facelift in recent years, Robertson will oversee the final stages of the $21.5 million renovation as the building’s infrastructure is updated, with renovations to include restrooms, sound equipment and heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC).“In Justine, we have found a leader with both corporate and theater world experience,” said Lucas. “But more importantly, fundraising is the priority.” Half of the nonprofit theater’s annual $8 million budget is earned from ticket sales; 25 percent comes from theater rentals and other services, and another 25 percent is raised  through charitable contributions from its more than 1,800 members, donors and sponsors.“Justine is a longtime and very well-known member of our community and we’re thrilled we will be spending some time working with her to make the Basie even better,” Lucas said.last_img read more