A Colombian cocaine confiscation, sanctions against an alleged Honduran narco-trafficking group and prison for an international drug dealer marked major victories in regional counter-narcotics efforts this week. Colombian police confiscated 1.3 tons of cocaine belonging to the Mexico-based Sinaloa Cartel, National Police Counter-narcotics Division head Gen. Ricardo Alberto Restrepo Londoño said Wednesday. Authorities discovered the narcotics aboard a ship departing from the Pacific port of Buenaventura and destined for the Guatemalan port of Quetzal, Restrepo Londoño said. Restrepo Londoño added the Sinaloa cartel has established a presence in Colombia so it can buy cocaine straight from producers and eliminate middlemen, generating a higher profit. “We are facing criminal organizations coming from Mexico,” he added. Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has launched a probe into the possible presence of Mexican narco-traffickers in the department of Nariño, where the majority of coca – the main ingredient used to produce cocaine – is cultivated. The cocaine was inside a shipment of ceramic glue in a container among the ship’s cargo. No arrests were made. The bust brings the total of cocaine seized by Colombian police so far this year to 68.3 tons. Sanctions for Los Valles Meanwhile, Los Valles – considered “one of the most prolific” trafficking groups in Central America by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) – was dealt a serious blow with major sanctions announced by the office Aug. 20. The group’s leader Miguel Arnulfo Valle, his brothers Luis Alonso and José Reynerio, and four businesses suspected of aiding them in their illicit activities have all been sanctioned. “[The United States Treasury Department] stands with the Honduran authorities to combat the drug trafficking threat,” OFAC Director Adam Szubin said in a prepared statement. The sanctions, established under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act, freeze all assets held in the U.S. by Miguel, Luis, José and all of the companies, making it illegal for any U.S. entity or citizen to conduct financial or commercial transactions with them. Los Valles are suspected of smuggling tens of thousands of kilograms into the U.S. monthly through a comprehensive network that includes three coffee production companies and a cattle and milk production business. More than 1,600 individuals and entities worldwide have been designated under the Act since June 2000. Penalties for violations of the Kingpin Act range from civil penalties of up to US$1.075 million per violation to more severe criminal penalties. Criminal penalties for corporate officers may include up to 30 years in prison and fines of up to US$5 million, while fines for corporations may reach US$10 million. Individuals face up to 10 years in prison and fines. Decades in prison for Cournoyer That same day, the head of a US$1 billion international narco-trafficking organization arrested as he tried to enter Mexico was sentenced to 27 years in prison. Jimmy Cournoyer, who was sentenced in a U.S. Federal Court in Brooklyn, ran an enterprise that was aligned with organized crime groups and drug cartels, according to prosecutors. Cournoyer had a violent side to go along with his flashy lifestyle, as he used a portion of his money to order punishment on those who cooperated with law enforcement officials. Cournoyer, a 34-year-old native of Quebec, pleaded guilty in May 2013 to charges including money laundering and conspiracies to manufacture and distribute marijuana and cocaine. He was arrested in 2012 as he tried to enter Mexico. He was extradited to New York, where he sold marijuana grown in Canada. U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York Loretta E. Lynch had asked for a 30-year sentence for Cournoyer, who authorities said trafficked 109,000 kilograms of marijuana into the U.S. SOURCES http://blogs.wsj.com/riskandcompliance/2014/08/20/us-treasury-targets-honduran-drug-network-with-sanctions/ http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/OFAC-Enforcement/Pages/20140820.aspx http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2014/08/21/gazette-midday-coderre-gets-soaked-reign-ends-for-king-of-pot/ http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/drug-kingpin-jimmy-cournoyer-sentenced-to-27-years-1.1968335 http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08/20/pot-playboy-jimmy-cournoyer-gets-27-years-in-jail-for-smuggling-109000-kilos-of-marijuana-into-u-s/ http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Marijuana-supplier-dubbed-Pot-Playboy-gets-27-years-272097841.html http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=2349021&CategoryId=12393 By Dialogo August 22, 2014
Clay Helton and Co. will welcome 19 players, chock-full of talent to their 2018 recruiting class. Katie Chin | Daily TrojanWednesday’s National Signing Day marked the end of the college football recruiting period, and USC went big. The Trojans started the day outside of the top 10 in overall recruiting rankings, but that would change in a matter of hours.The first decision of the day came from linebacker Solomon Tuliaupupu at around 9:40 a.m. Tuliaupupu chose the Trojans over rivals UCLA and Notre Dame. The four-star product of Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, Calif. is the fourth-ranked inside linebacker and 86th-ranked overall prospect in the nation according to 247sports.com. At 6 feet, 2 inches and 220 pounds, Tuliaupupu won the Butkus Award as the nation’s top linebacker for his senior season. He will join five-star high school teammates wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown and quarterback JT Daniels as Trojans next season.The second and possibly most important commitment came from five-star cornerback Olaijah Griffin at around 10:30 a.m. The 6-foot, 170-pound prospect out of Mission Viejo High School established himself as one of the premier defensive backs in the class of 2018, earning his spot as 247Sports’ third-ranked corner and 28th-ranked player at any position. Griffin was picking between USC, Tennessee, Alabama and Oregon. Griffin, the son of rapper Warren G, announced his decision on ESPN and celebrated with legendary USC linebacker Willie McGinest, his famous father and Snoop Dogg. As an instinctive and physical player, any production he gives as a freshman will be a massive gain for a Trojan defensive backfield that struggled mightily at times in 2017.The Trojans continued their hot streak when four-star wide receiver Devon Williams picked USC over Oregon on ESPN. At 6 feet, 4 inches and 200 pounds, Williams is highly gifted, listed by ESPN as the number one athlete in his class. The product of Antelope Valley High School in Lancaster, Calif. Williams is the sixth-ranked wide receiver and 40th-ranked player in 2018.USC’s luck ended when four-star receiver/tight end Michael Ezeike chose UCLA around 1:30 p.m., and this continued when four-star offensive lineman Penei Sewell committed to Oregon 30 minutes later. Sewell’s decision was a particularly tough pill to swallow, as USC’s 24-7 Cotton Bowl loss to Ohio State proved the team needs to improve in the trenches.However, the Trojans finished the day strong when four-star cornerback Isaac Taylor-Stuart committed to USC over Tennessee, Alabama and Texas A&M. The 6-foot-2-inch, 187-pound defensive back out of Helix Charter High School in San Diego made the announcement that he would be staying in Southern California via a livestream on his Instagram account. The additions of Taylor-Stuart and Griffin, both top-five cornerbacks according to 247Sports, set the Trojans up for a future of lockdown production on the outside.The Trojans also added a few preferred walk-ons. Two-star receiver Zach Wilson of Saguaro High School in Scottsdale, AZ, tweeted his commitment around 9:10 a.m. Twenty-five minutes later, safety Jordan McMillan of Loyola High School tweeted he would be living out his dream and joining USC.Four players who had previously committed to USC signed their letters of intent on Wednesday. Along with St. Brown and Daniels, four-star linebacker Eli’jah Winston and four-star defensive lineman Trevor Trout confirmed that they will be Trojans next season. Winston tweeted his decision to flip from Oregon to USC on Tuesday, while Trout announced his commitment back in November.Including early signees from December, the Trojans’ current 2018 recruiting class includes 18 players, two of whom are preferred walk-ons. Head coach Clay Helton will have a lot of talent to work with from this group, especially with multiple big names at linebacker, receiver and cornerback. USC finishes with six recruits ranked in the top 40 of the 247Sports composite. In addition, the Trojans earned the commitments of 247Sports’ top four California prospects, five of the top six and seven of the top 11. USC jumped to fourth in 247Sports’ team recruiting rankings, finishing with four five-stars players, 13 four-stars and one three-star. Tied with Georgia for the second-best average rating per recruit, USC can expect great things from a stacked class in the future.
0Shares0000Dagoretti were comfortable in their win, showing maturity and calmness to pick victory/TIMOTHY OLOBULUKISUMU, Kenya, Aug 2 – Rift Valley representatives St. Anthony’s Boys Kitale will face off with Nairobi’s Dagoretti High School in a mouthwatering National Secondary School Games national finals at the Moi Stadium in Kisumu on Saturday.Dagoretti beat last year’s losing finalists Olbolosat High School from Central Region 3-1 while the Solidarity Boys were forced to work extra hard before beatng debutants Ebwali, representing Vihiga, 6-5 on post match penalties. “It will be a tough final because St. Anthony’s is one of the strongest teams in this competition. But this time, we have a better team and offensively we have really improved. I am confident that we can tackle them well and win this trophy,” said Joseph Makokha, the Dagoretti High School coach.St. Anthony’s should have wrapped up the game in normal time had they converted a late penalty they were awarded.However, their keeper Dan Wamalwa proved to be savior, palming away Kelvin Owalla’s penalty in sudden death to send them through to the final and assure them of a ticket in the East Africa School Games set to be held in Arusha later this month.Dagoretti meanwhile were comfortable in their win, showing maturity and calmness to pick victory.They broke the deadlock just three minutes into the game when Paul Odhiambo made the most of a defensive error before picking up the ball inside the box and shooting past keeper Arnold Robert.Odhiambo thought he had grabbed his second of the morning when he tapped in from inside the six yard area but the goal was disallowed for offside.Even before the lanky forward could jog back from his celebrations that were killed by the second assistant referee’s flag, Olbolosat had turned the ball over and scored the equalizer.The ball was quickly swung to the right and a cross was cut back into the box which Adan Rashid tapped home comfortably beyond keeper Jospher Okello.Nonetheless, it took Ditchez just seven minutes to get their lead back. Midfielder Derrick Omondi picked up the ball at the edge of the box, set himself up with the first touch and blasted the ball into the net with the second.Dagoretti keeper Jospher made a decent save to keep his side in the game in the 37th minute when he blocked a point blank effort by Philip Leshan. Four minutes later, Ian Kiprotich had a chance for Olbolosat when he landed the ball unmarked at the edge of the box but his shot was over.The contention grew in the second half with Olbolosat pushing for an equalizer and Dagoretti looking to preserve their lead and also looking for a third to cushion them. They got that vital goal 15 minutes from time to kill off the game when Simon Omondi’s shot from distance beat the keeper.Meanwhile in the girls final, home side Nyakach Girls will take on Itigo Girls. Nyakach beat Arch Bishop Njenga 2-0 courtesy of a brace from Mercy Akoth while Itigo blasted Njambini 3-0.Harambee Starlets youngster Martha Amunyolete sealed the win with the third goal after Vicky Korir and Daisy Jerop had scored early in the second hal0Shares0000(Visited 11 times, 1 visits today)