CALGARY — Canadian Oil Sands Ltd. is calling on Suncor Energy Inc. to disclose details of how shareholders reacted to its $4.3-billion hostile takeover bid for COS before a Jan. 8 deadline was extended by nearly three weeks.The Calgary-based company claims it won a resounding victory last week, which ended with Suncor extending the deadline for its all-stock offer to Jan. 27 — but without changing what’s on the table.Suncor announced the extension on Friday as the original deadline passed at 6 p.m. Mountain Time, following more than a week of heavy publicity by both sides as they fought to win support from shareholders.Suncor extends takeover offer for Canadian Oil Sands until January 27Why Canadian Oil Sands investors snub Suncor at their perilWhere did the potential buyers of Canadian Oil Sands disappear to?Canadian Oil Sands has said Suncor’s offer is too low and its shareholders would do better if COS remains independent. Suncor argues crude’s decline to multi-year lows has made a higher offer out of the question and makes its offer less risky for shareholders than if they remain invested in an independent Canadian Oil Sands.The extension gives Suncor more time to make its case to shareholders. But Canadian Oil Sands concluded Monday’s statement by urging its shareholders to reject the takeover as it currently stands and hold onto their COS stock.“While only Suncor has access to all the tender results, the best information that COS currently has is that a strong majority of COS shareholders rejected the substantially undervalued and opportunistic Suncor bid,” Canadian Oil Sands said Monday.“COS believes that immediate disclosure of the number of shares tendered is required under Canadian and U.S. securities law in this situation as a material fact that would reasonably be expected to affect the decision of shareholders to accept or reject the Suncor bid . . . ”Suncor CEO Steve Williams said in an interview last week that he’d need to have a “high degree of confidence” that a deal would eventually close in order to keep up the pursuit.
In a joint statement this week, the LGBTQI community said that President Sirisena had made a series of homophobic comments at the rally. The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning, and Intersex (LGBTQI) community in Sri Lanka and civil society staged a protest in Colombo today against comments made this week by President Maithripala Sirisena.The protest staged near the Liberty roundabout, condemned the homophobic comment made by the President at a political rally. Meanwhile, the Government today insisted that President Maithripala Sirisena did not target the LGBTQI community during his speech.Cabinet co-spokesman Mahinda Samarasinghe said that the President had only referred to the people around former Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and not a particular community. (Colombo Gazette) The LGBTQI community called upon all Sri Lankans who respect the fundamental rights of each and every Sri Lankan for equality, justice and dignity to join with them in categorically condemning President Sirisena’s homophobia and public incitement of homophobic hatred.