Corky Lee, a photojournalist who spent five decades spotlighting the often ignored Asian and Pacific Islander American communities, has died. He was 73. His family said in a statement that Lee died Wednesday in Queens, New York, of complications from COVID-19. The self-described “undisputed unofficial Asian American Photographer Laureate,” Lee used his eye to pursue what he saw as “photographic justice.” He was present at many seminal moments impacting Asian America over a 50-year career. He was also a founding member of the New York chapter of the Asian American Journalists Association. A private funeral service will be held in New York.
Rumer Willis will make her Broadway debut as Roxie Hart in Chicago a bit later than originally planned. The Dancing with the Stars winner will begin performances at the Ambassador Theatre on September 14 (instead of August 18) in order to allow for additional recovery time for multiple stress fractures. She will now play a seven-week engagement through November 1.Chicago veteran Amy Spanger, who currently plays Roxie, will conclude her stint on August 16. Fellow alum Dylis Croman will step in for the interim, beginning on August 18.Willis is the winner of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars season 20. She has previously appeared on stage in off-Broadway’s Love, Loss and What I Wore, For the Record Live’s Dear John Hughes, Baz Luhrmann’s DBA and FTR: Tarantino. Her numerous screen credits include House Bunny, Sorority Row, Diary of Preston Plummer Workaholics, Pretty Little Liars, Hawaii 5-0 and Songbyrd.Carly Hughes, who played Velma Kelly to Jennifer Nettles’ Roxie earlier this year, will return to the role on August 22 through September 4. She takes over for Amra Faye Wright, who is scheduled to take a brief hiatus. The cast also includes Ivan Hernandez as Billy Flynn, Raymond Bokhour as Amos Hart, NaTasha Yvette Williams as Matron “Mama” Morton and R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine. from $49.50 Related Shows Chicago View Comments
University of GeorgiaGardeners, grab your checkbooks and clear your trunks. The University of Georgia Horticulture Club will hold their annual spring plant sale starting April 3 in Athens, Ga.The sale will be held at the corner of College Station Road and Riverbend Road. It will run from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, April 3-4 and 11-12, and from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, April 5 and 13.“We’ll have a lot more fruit trees this year than we have had in the past,” said Matthew Chappell, an assistant horticulture professor with the UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.Blueberry bushes and pear, apple, persimmon and pecan trees will be for sale. Chappell hopes to add mayhaw trees to the list.They’ll also be selling ornamental trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, groundcovers, vines, drought-tolerant plants and vegetable plants.For best selection, come the first Friday as plants will be available on a first-come basis. UGA faculty and students will be on hand to answer questions.
S.C. Historical Society to gather in Orlando June 15, 2005 Regular News S.C. Historical Society to gather in Orlando The Florida Supreme Court Historical Society will hold its annual meeting June 23 at 10 a.m. in the Los Angeles Room at the Orlando World Center Marriott Hotel in conjunction with The Florida Bar’s Annual Meeting.Society President John DeVault will review the organization’s activities during the past year and preview planned programs for the coming year. In addition, one-third of the board of trustees will be elected for three-year terms extending through 2008.Discussion topics will include forthcoming publication of the second volume of the society’s history of the Florida Supreme Court, which will cover the period 1918-1972. Annual meeting attendees will also hear an update on the “Evolution of Justice” educational project, now slated to take the form of a series of video modules.
Categories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionRecently you published a letter about someone with a resume of tax evasion, sexism, collusion with the enemy and a war monger who is a profound racist and who is mentally and physically unfit. The reason people accuse him of these things is he brags about most of them. Supporters are only listening to his puppet “news” channel.Calvin MooreColonieMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homes
The attack, which occurred in 2017, completely blinded Novel in the left eye and left him with 50 percent vision in his right eye.After the attack, the police were criticized for their sluggish handling of the case as a string of investigations and a fact-finding team formed by then-National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian — who now serves as home minister — was unable to identify the attackers. The police finally managed to arrest both suspects in December 2019, two and a half years after the attack.Novel previously told the courtroom that he believed the acid attack was related to his work on certain high-profile corruption cases, including a bribery case that implicated former Constitutional Court justice Patrialis Akbar and the e-ID corruption case that involved former House of Representatives speaker Setya Novanto.The light sentence demands from the prosecutors had sparked public outcry, with many questioning the prosecutors’ arguments that the defendants “accidentally” threw the acid into Novel’s face. Novel himself called the demands outrageous and urged the court to acquit the defendants because of the trial’s many perceived irregularities.Despite the legal proceedings concerns remain that the two policemen are merely scapegoats and activists have demanded the government set up a new investigation team to reveal the mastermind behind the attack.Topics : Rahmat was given a longer sentence as judges deemed that he was the one who prepared and threw a mixture of battery acid and water on Novel. The judges said that Ronny drove Rahmat on a motorcycle for the attack.Both were found guilty of violating Article 353 of the Criminal Code on persecution causing serious injury or death, which carries a maximum sentence of nine years’ imprisonment upon conviction.The sentence was higher than the one year initially demanded by prosecutors. Both Ronny and Rahmat said they accepted the ruling while the prosecutors said they were considering an appeal.Read also: ‘Far from facts’: Novel Baswedan questions burden of proof ahead of Thursday’s verdict After more than three years of investigations and legal proceedings, the North Jakarta District Court has found two police officers guilty of attacking senior Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigator Novel Baswedan.”[The panel of judges hereby] declares the defendants guilty of committing a criminal act of planned persecution, which resulted in serious injuries,” presiding judge Djuyamto said in the court on Tuesday night.The court sentenced the two officers, Brig. Rahmat Kadir Mahulet and Chief Brig. Ronny Bugis, to two years’ and 18 months’ imprisonment, respectively.
Liberty,Ind. — Indiana State Excise officers confiscated hundreds of counterfeit items from a booth at the Fourth of July festival in Liberty Saturday afternoon.Around 5:15 p.m. police seized 686 items including hats, shirts, wallets, backpacks and purses near 26 West Union Street. The items were imitations of NCAA, NFL, MLB, Louis Vuitton, North Face and Michael Kors.Operator of the booth, Zhen Li, 40, of Brownsburg, was not arrested at the scene, but the evidence has been forwarded to the Union County prosecutor. Li could face counterfeiting or forgery charges.
Loading… Teams will be afforded only three slots – plus the half-time break – during the match to make their changes, in a bid to avoid unnecessary stoppages. The proposals are an acknowledgment of the increased demands likely to be placed on players when football returns. They will be coming off the back of a long lay-off due to the pandemic, and matches are likely to be played every few days as leagues seek to make up for lost time. FIFA’s plans are subject to approval from the International Football Association Board (IFAB), which is responsible for the laws of the game and is already considering the proposal. Protection of player welfare will be the main priority when a decision is reached, and that is expected to be made later this week. A FIFA spokesperson said: “When competitions resume, such competitions are likely to face a congested match calendar with a higher-than-normal frequency of matches played in consecutive weeks. “Safety of the players is one of FIFA’s main priorities. One concern in this regard is that the higher-than-normal frequency of matches may increase the risk of potential injuries due to a resulting player overload. FIFA has proposed allowing teams to make up to five substitutions per match to help players cope with the return to action after the coronavirus pandemic. Promoted ContentThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreAmazing Bridal Looks From Around The WorldBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?A Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs20 Facts That’ll Change Your Perception Of “The Big Bang Theory”Insane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street ArtYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime “In light of this, and in light of the unique challenge faced globally in delivering competitions according to the originally foreseen calendar, FIFA proposes that a larger number of substitutions be temporarily allowed, at the discretion of the relevant competition organiser. “In competitions where less than five substitutions are currently allowed, each team would now be given the possibility to use up to five substitutions during the match, with the possibility of an additional substitution remaining during extra time, where relevant.” If approved, FIFA’s proposals would also cover the 2020/21 season, as well as the current campaign. They would also apply to all international matches until the end of next year – including Euro 2020, which has been postponed until June 2021. Leagues across the world are stepping up preparations for a return to action. The Premier League is targeting a resumption of the campaign – behind closed doors – in mid-June. read also:NFF to get N200m Coronavirus palliative from FIFA The league’s 20 clubs are due to hold their latest conference call on Friday to discuss ‘Project Restart’. However, FIFA’s proposal to increase substitutions will only be discussed by the clubs once it has been approved by IFAB. Elsewhere in Europe, clubs in the top two tiers of German football have returned to training, and are planning to restart games next month. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
By Lonnie Wheatley DODGE CITY, Kan. – Championship chase action resumes in full force this Saturday night at the state-of-the-art Dodge City Raceway Park. And in keeping with Memorial Weekend, all military personnel will be admitted free.Military personnel simply need to show their military card for free admission to Saturday’s card that includes IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modifieds, IMCA SportMods, IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars and Thunder Cars on the 3/8-mile clay oval along with Hornets on the inner asphalt oval, with racing action going green at 7:30 p.m.Additionally, all race fans can get a coupon good for $2 off admission simply by stopping by Lewis Toyota in Dodge City.Saturday’s card is another pivotal one in the track’s championship title chases. While the Modifieds have featured four different winners in as many events thus far in 2014, Perry Misner and Jarett Lunow both carry perfect three-for-three streaks into the Memorial Day weekend tilt. In the Modified ranks, three drivers have posted first career Modified wins at DCRP since veteran shoe Van Gemmill topped the April 12 opener. Past SportMod champ Clay Sellard cracked victory lane April 19 with fellow first-time winners Joel Lane and Jesse Smith on May 3 and May 10, respectively. Defending track champion Jeff Kaup leads the SportMod ranks with only 44 points separating the nine drivers ranked second through 10th. Toby Witthuhn is Kaup’s closest challenger entering Saturday with Austin Walker, May 10 winner Josh Appel and 2012 champion Bart Baker in the top five. Misner has been perfect in the Stock Car ranks to build a sizable advantage over Reagan Sellard with Dusty Witthuhn, Michael Pepper and Randy Dowell also among the top five. Dustin Walker leads the pack in a tightly-bunched Thunder Car points battle, just 13 points ahead of William Bauer with Matt O’Hair, Dan Rogers and Tobby Schield in the top five. On the inner asphalt oval, Lunow is three-for-three thus far, building a 22-point advantage over Jarred Nightengale in the title chase. Tickets to Saturday’s championship chase action at Dodge City Raceway Park are $10 for adults with children 11 and under admitted free when accompanied by a paying adult. Pit passes are $30.
NEW YORK — Twelve days and two season-defining wins ago, Michael Carter-Williams felt the frustration of more than 30,000 fans.As he rose up from the top of the key against Louisville — 40 seconds remaining, fading slightly left — the Carrier Dome crowd groaned with disdain. His shot clanged off the rim, clinching a win for the Cardinals, and sharpening the blade of his double-edged sword.“You win or die with Mike,” C.J. Fair said. “That’s what we look at.”And on Thursday Syracuse won.Carter-Williams was brilliant in the final nine minutes of SU’s 62-59 win over No. 17 Pittsburgh, scoring 10 of his 11 points in that stretch and making a crucial steal that cut short a ferocious comeback by the Panthers. He made four free throws in the final 28 seconds, shaking off early misses to lead No. 19 Syracuse to a victory at the season’s most vital point and set up a semifinal matchup with archrival No. 5 Georgetown.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textTwelve days and gobs of renewed confidence later, Carter-Williams’ pivotal stretch began with the very jump shot that eluded him two weeks earlier. A 13-point halftime lead dwindled to four when he lined up a 3 from the top of the key, his first attempt in a close game since missing against the Cardinals.This time it swished home, touching only the net, and a vicious celebration ensued. Carter-Williams pounded his chest three times, his face contorted into a scowl.It was a shot for the doubters, and a shot toward a win.“It kind of reminded me of Scoop Jardine, you know what I mean?” Brandon Triche said. “With Scoop last year he was just one of those guys that always took that shot, and a lot of times it went in.“When Mike has a shot like that, I don’t think twice about it. I want him to shoot.”From there Carter-Williams controlled the last four minutes, invigorated by his gutsy 3-pointer and gladly accepting the weight of a game that fell squarely on his shoulders. He attempted six free throws in the final 3:48, making five of them, and kept at bay a Pittsburgh team that clawed to within a single point.That he responded so well — especially at the free-throw line — is particularly impressive considering his struggles in the exact same building earlier this season. He missed eight free throws in a four-point loss to Temple in Madison Square Garden in December.But on Thursday afternoon he was cool and composed, knocking in all but one of his attempts in the closing minutes.“Sometimes you have to go through those bad experiences to be able to come back in this situation and be able to make them,” Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said. “And they were huge. I mean, I don’t think we win the game if he doesn’t go to the line and make those free throws.”Mixed in among the free throws was a slicing left-handed runner in the lane that extended the Syracuse lead to six with 2:20 remaining. He rose above the Pittsburgh defenders, relying on every inch of his 6-foot-6-inch frame, and laid the ball in to the delight of the pro-Orange crowd.On arguably his team’s most important possession, Carter-Williams came through. And when the Panthers had theirs, Carter-Williams sized that opportunity, too.He sprung into the passing lane with 11 seconds remaining, snatching James Robinson’s pass — and Pittsburgh’s only chance for a game-tying field goal — before coasting into the frontcourt and into the semifinals.“I’ve always said the thing that separates Michael from a lot of people is his belief in himself,” Syracuse assistant coach Gerry McNamara said. “I think the best players, the ones that are on different levels when it comes down to making plays and winning games, they have that mentality. You want guys like that when it’s all said and done.”So when this game was done, and his play symbolized everything that needed to be said, Carter-Williams turned to the Syracuse pep band and smiled. Chants of “We want Georgetown!” rained down from the Orange-clad musicians, and the point guard simply pointed in their direction and nodded.Twelve days ago they groaned. On Thursday they cheered.“I had a chance to put away the game and help my team win,” Carter-Williams said. “And that’s what I did.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 14, 2013 at 7:59 pm Contact Michael: email@example.com | @Michael_Cohen13