Enrollment for school year 2020-2021 started on June 1 and ended on July 15. DepEd-6, however, said schools would continue receiving late enrollees. Enrollment in private schools for the new school year reached 89,977 (Kindergarten, 4,789; Elementary, 18,612; JHS, 39,544; SHS, 27,032). Also, she said, it is ultimately up to the parents to decide if they want to enroll their children to school or not./PN For distance learning, DepEd-6 has three strategies. These are the following: DepEd, however, remains hopeful the enrollment will still “increase in the coming weeks.” * radio- or television-based instruction * modular – printed or electronic materials would be issued for students to study; this includes worksheets, too, that students must answer and other learning materials that teachers would deem necessary for the students DepEd-6 is exploring the possibility of combining the above-mentioned modalities for a “blended” learning experience of students, said Belleza. Of this number, 45,754 students were in kindergarten; 259, 182 in elementary; 454, 712 in JHS, 409, 150 in SHS and 1,178 are non-graded learners with disabilities. “Hindi ito nakapagtataka dahil ang natamaan nang husto ng dagok sa ating ekonomiya ay ang mga private schools, businesses at naaapektuhan ang kapasidad ng mga parents na magpadala ng kanilang mga anak sa private schools,” Briones said in an online press briefing. Education secretary Leonor Briones blamed the economic setback brought by the pandemic. The Alliance of Concerned Teachers (ACT) Philippines criticized DepEd for failing around seven million learners nationwide who have not enrolled for the coming school year and the 19.5 million whose education “is bound to suffer” due to the agency’s unprepared learning modalities under its “new normal.” As to the enrollment figures in tertiary schools in Region 6, only 1,196 learners have so far registered (Kindergarten, three; Elementary, 85; JHS, 805; and SHS, 303) – way below the 2019-2020 enrollment figure of 5,052. For the upcoming new school year, DepEd-6 is hoping to exceed the 2019-2020 enrollment of over two million learners despite the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. In non-graded education both in public and private schools, DepEd-6 reported an enrollment of 4,002. Meanwhile, Dr. Lea Belleza, DepEd-6 regional information officer, said they already started preparing for various “learning delivery modalities”. These were face-to-face learning, distance learning, blended learning, and homeschooling. Belleza said face-to-face learning may be allowed in areas considered as “low-risk” for COVID-1 9 transmission but health safety measures would be strictly observed such as regular disinfection of schools, frequent hand-washing, wearing of facemask, observing physical distancing, and checking of body temperature. In the Alternative Learning System (ALS), on the other hand, the region’s enrollment is 22,488 – over 50 percent lower than 61,039 enrollees in school year 2019-2020. * online class – but only possible if students have the needed gadgets such as laptop or desktop computer, cellphone, and strong internet connection In the previous 2019-2020 school year, public school enrollment in Region 6 was 1,798,939. She also did not discount the possibility of homeschooling; the students just stay at home and their parents would teach them based on the curriculum and learning materials set by the school. * Elementary – 780, 836 * Kindergarten – 103,842 ILOILO City – Enrollees for school year 2020-2021 in Western Visayas reached 1,679,038, data from the Department of Education (DepEd) showed – down from the number of enrollees in the 2019-2020 school year. The sharpest drop is in private schools. Due to COVID-19 pandemic, parents and students were offered several options to enroll – via electronic mail, through social media applications such as Facebook and Viber among other internet-based communications applications, through phone calls, and short messaging system (text). Belleza said it is up to schools to determine which teaching strategies would be suitable for their students. Of the new enrollees, 1,561,375 registered in public schools. Here’s the breakdown: Nationwide, data from DepEd showed that as of July 17 there were only 1,169,976 students enrolled in private schools across 17 regions. DepEd also strictly maintained the “no collection policy” during the enrollment period. According to the DepEd, the number is only 27 percent of last year’s 4,304,676 – a sharp 73 percent drop, overall. * Junior High School (JHS) – 498,486 The plunge is deep. In school year 2019-2020, there were 236,298 enrollees in the region’s private schools. * Senior High School (SHS) – 178,211
Hill will serve as an honorary coach for Mount. St. Joe’s (Image: Getty)LAWRENCEBURG, Ind. – Lauren Hill has played her last basketball game for Mount St. Joseph’s University.The Lawrenceburg graduate will now serve as an honorary coach for the team, her coach Dan Benjamin told Cincinnati’s WCPO-TV Wednesday night.Hill is battling a form of brain cancer and her story has transcended beyond the college sports world.The freshman made a basket Tuesday at home against The College of Wooster marking her tenth collegiate point.Hill launched the #LayUp4Lauren campaign which raises money for research and a cure for brain cancer.
ORVC Weekly Report Summary (October 29–November 3)Players of the Week.Girls Basketball: Elexah Roepke – South RipleyORVC Report(October 29-November 3)2018Courtesy of ORVC Recorder Travis Calvert.
North Decatur High School Girls Varsity Volleyball falls to Lawrenceburg High School 3-0. 25-11, 25-20, 25-16Chargers Scoring: Olivia Bohman 12 digs & 7 kills; Erika Kramer 9 digs & 4 kills; Madelyn Bohman 3 kills; Kara Muckerheide 19 assists.Courtesy of Chargers Coach Ashley Gauck.
Frank G. Holman, 49, of Vevay passed away at 10:10pm, Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at his home. He was born in Greensburg on May 15, 1970 and is survived by his father Harry (Bernadette) Holman of Versailles and his mother Nora Matky of Holton. Frank was married to Volina Stultz on July 27, 2013 and she also survives. Other survivors include two sons Frank T. (Cayla) Holman of Hanover and Jake G. Holman and his companion Nicole Fish of Columbus; one daughter Sydney Holman and her companion Trent Mason of Batesville; one step-son Josh (Thera) South, and one step-daughter Jenna South both of Vevay; 10 grandchildren; three brothers Vincent Holman of Milan, Harry Jr. (Michelle) Holman of New Marion, and Bryce (Samantha) Holman of Olean. He was preceded in death by his daughter Shelby. Frank was a 1988 graduate of South Ripley High School and he had been a heavy equipment operator for both Roy Holman and Mike Holman in Versailles. He enjoyed fishing and hunting and was very proud to have owned and operated Big Al’s Septic Service in Vevay since 2011. He also enjoyed tending to his goats and his chickens, affectionately known as his “babies”. Funeral services for Frank will be held on Saturday, November 2nd at 10:30am at the Stratton-Karsteter Funeral Home in Versailles. Burial will be in the New Marion Cemetery. Visitation will be on Friday from 4pm to 7pm. Memorials may be given to High Pointe Hospice or the New Marion Cemetery in care of the funeral home.
Edwin van der Sar believes new Manchester United boss David Moyes faces a virtually impossible task trying to fill the shoes of Sir Alex Ferguson. He added: “I am sure the manager and the players and the board are fully behind him. That is all you can ask for.” Moyes has already begun making his mark, ditching first-team coach Mike Phelan and goalkeeping coach Eric Steele from the backroom team. Others may yet follow and it is not entirely certain who Moyes intends to bring in, although former England keeper Chris Woods seems an obvious choice, as does the ex-Everton boss’ long-time confidante Jimmy Lumsden. The change will have to be managed during a period when Chelsea and Manchester City are expected to strengthen significantly following this season’s disappointments. However, the one significant advantage Van der Sar feels Moyes has are the number of United players, past and present, with vast experience of winning trophies, who are still around the club. “It is nice if you have players who win,” he said. “That is part of the history of Manchester United. (Paul) Scholes, (Gary) Neville, (Ryan) Giggs, (Rio) Ferdinand, (Nemanja) Vidic and (Patrice) Evra now. And (Michael) Carrick. “It is good for any manager to have those types of players in their dressing room. You are trying to improve, changing players and filling in the gaps, but you don’t have to build a new team all the time.” Having spoken to Ferguson a couple of weeks before the dramatic confirmation that he was to stand down, Van der Sar was not caught completely by surprise and thinks following in the Scot’s footsteps is not going to be easy. “I spoke to Sir Alex over an unrelated matter about two weeks before,” said Van der Sar. “He is a great man and a great manager at a fantastic club. I wish him the best of luck and David Moyes also because it is almost an impossible job to step into.” Press Association
“So, there’s only one person who can do that,” Waititi added, referring to Portman.The actress took the stage and was handed a replica Mjolnir hammer. She said, “This feels pretty good. I’ve always had a little hammer envy.”“Thor: Love and Thunder” is set to hit theaters in November 2021. Natalie Portman is coming back to Marvel, and to “Thor.”The 38-year-old actress, who played Thor’s love interest, Jane Foster, in the first two installments of the series, will take up the mantle of Lady Thor this time around.The announcement came at Comic-Con International in San Diego on Saturday.Onstage for the announcement were Thor himself, Chris Hemsworth, and director Taika Waititi.Waititi told the Comic-Con audience that while they were shooting “Thor: Ragnarok,” he read from Jason Aaron’s “Mighty Thor” comic series. It depicts Jane as a female Thor.Just announced in Hall H at #SDCC, Marvel Studios’ THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER with Chris Hemsworth, Tessa Thompson and Natalie Portman. Taika Waititi returns as director. In theaters November 5, 2021. pic.twitter.com/7RRkOYWTQM— Marvel Studios (@MarvelStudios) July 21, 2019
As the nation is being forced to comply with Stay-At-Home orders in order to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus, domestic violence cases have increased, especially in the Treasure Coast, reports say.Compared to the same time frame last year, between March 6 and April 6, domestic battery cases have increased 18 percent in Palm Beach County, and in the Treasure Coast and Okeechobee counties, domestic violence cases have increased by 79 percent.Martin County Sheriff William Snyder said the increase in cases could be due to a mixture of alcohol abuse, and couples staying home under conditions they are not used to.However, officials at Aid to Victims of Domestic Abuse in Palm Beach County, say their hotline calls have stayed about the same.Jennifer Rey, Program Services Director of AVDA says the reason the hotline calls are not going up is most likely because the victims perpetrator is in the home 24/7.Rey said during this time everyone is suppose to stick together.“If you know that something is going on or you suspect it please call law enforcement and have them investigate.”If you are a victim call Aid to Victims of Domestic Abuse (Palm Beach County) at 1 (800) 355-8547 or SafeSpace (Treasure Coast counties) at 1 (800) 500-1119.
Portugal, who have never won a major tournament, face Germany or hosts France in Sunday’s Stade de France final.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Wales’ historic Euro 2016 run came to an end last night at the semi-final stage as Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo guided his side to the final with a 2-0 victory.Ronaldo headed Portugal ahead after a phenomenal leap, and Nani clinched the victory when he turned home Ronaldo’s shot from outside the penalty area.The Welsh were bidding to be the first British team to reach a Euros final.Wales rarely threatened a comeback despite Gareth Bale forcing two Rui Patricio saves from distance.
On Dec. 1, 2014, approximately 28,000 students around the world applied to USC to be considered for USC merit scholarships. Last Friday, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions released the decisions to the 1,200 finalists.Every student that applies to USC before the Dec. 1 deadline is considered for a merit-based scholarship. USC offers several scholarships, but there are four major awards that are need-blind: the Mork Family Scholarship, the Trustee Scholarship, the Stamps Scholarship and the Presidential Scholarship. The first three offer students full tuition, while the Presidential Scholarship offers a half tuition award. Students who are selected for these scholarships, however, have to go through an extra step in order to receive them — an in-person interview.Interviews take place in late February and early March and will determine which students will win each award. Kirk Brennan, director of admission said that this year, the office has selected approximately 700 finalists for the Presidential Scholarship and fewer than 500 total for the other three. Brennan commented that the number of applicants this year is similar to those of previous years.In total, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions is expecting approximately 52,000 applications, which is slightly more than last year, out of which they will accept about 9,000. Last year, the admissions rate for USC was about 18 percent; Brennan says the office’s main focus, however, is on enrolling and awarding scholarships to the correct students and not hitting a target admission percentage.As to what they look for in candidates for these scholarships, Brennan said they want students “who will make the biggest impact here at USC,” and that can take many forms. Every candidate has excellent grades and test scores, but the Office of Undergraduate Admissions is looking for glowing letters of recommendation; demonstration of strong engagement not only in school but also in their community, and a strong character and good leadership skills in general. These students are expected to make contributions that will greatly impact and improve the university.Alejandro Medina, a sophomore majoring in architecture and a recipient of the Presidential Scholarship remembers his experience of coming to campus for the interview. Medina explained that the program encouraged him to come visit the USC campus and stay in the dorms with a fellow Trojan for a whole weekend, in which he was able to meet people, experience the university firsthand and prepare for his scholarship interview.“I was extremely excited when I received the notification that I was a Presidential Scholarship finalist,” Medina said. “Other universities only give you the money, but USC makes you feel like they really care, like they need you to be here. Not only do they make you feel special, but coming to campus gives you a feeling of what it means to be a Trojan; and that definitely shaped my decision of where to attend college.”Medina explained that the interview process, though nerve-racking, made not only him, but also his parents, excited that he was soon to become a Trojan.Finalists for these scholarships will be arriving on campus in late February and early March for their final round of interviews.“We need the entire community to be aware of being good Trojans for the next generation of Trojans who are coming up,” Brennan said.The remainder of the applicants that were not chosen as scholarship finalists will hear back from the university in early May.