first_imgRovers goalkeeper Rory Kelly had a super game. Pic by Northwest Newspix.A very entertaining end-to-end game was played in front of a large crowd at Leckview Park, this being the replay, as both sides played out a 0-0 draw on Saturday night in Athlone.Letterkenny Rovers started the first half well and played well throughout. When Rovers look back on the game they will be disappointed not to turn the chances they had onto the score sheet. Steve Emeka had a goal disallowed for offside after hitting the net.Athlone started slow but grew into the game as the first half came to an end. As neither team could dominate midfield, chances were few and far between for the majority of the second half. As the game opened up with 10 minutes to go, the two sides had opportunities but neither could find that elusive goal.Both teams had a chance to win it at the depth as Rover’s striker Steve Emeka hit the bar from a corner on the 91st minute of normal time, the ball was then cleared by Athlone Town and set substitute and former Shamrock Rovers player Emeka Onwubiko bearing down on goal with seconds remaining on the clock.Paul McVeigh feels the full force of the Athlone defence.A super save from Kelly went into the path of Athlone’s Val Feeney who would’ve been sure he was sending his team through to the last 16 of the FAI senior cup only to be cleared by David Shovlin, which gave Letterkenny Rovers another shot in extra time as the referee blew the full time whistle of normal time. FT 0-0Extra time began with both sides sitting deep knowing what was at stake. The Airticity First division side began to get on top and peppered Letterkenny’s goals, but the Letterkenny rearguard stood defiant. Another good save in the second half of extra time from the Letterkenny keeper following a shot from Feeney kept the nerves going around Leckview. Good play from substitute Kevin O’Donnell gave captain Darren McElwaine the ball inside Athlone’s box, but couldn’t get a clear shot away at Ryan Coulter’s goal.As penalties were looking likely Athlone went on the attack as good wing play from Onwubiko who squared the ball to the oncoming Alan O’Sullivan to finish into the Rover’s net with 117 minutes played.A brave effort from Eamon McGonigley’s men who can hold their heads up high after competing with senior side Athlone Town over two enthralling fixtures.Athlone Town go into the next round of the FAI cup as Letterkenny Rovers have a domestic cup final against Cockhill in the coming weeks.  BRAVE LETTERKENNY ROVERS BOW OUT OF FAI SENIOR CUP was last modified: May 24th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:AthloneExtra timefai cupLetterkenny Roverslast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *