Image conscious UK men dress to impress at work

first_img Comments are closed. Image conscious UK men dress to impress at workOn 10 Sep 2002 in Personnel Today Previous Article Next Article Nearly two-thirds of workers feel their image is more important to theircareer prospects than it was two years ago. According to research by internet job site reed.co.uk, nearly half of allworkers (45 per cent), feel they will need to spend more of their own money onlooking the part over the next six months than they do at the moment. The survey shows that people spend nearly a fifth of their salary on lookinggood at work. Someone on the average salary of £23,000 spends £3,214 a year on an entirecatalogue of work-related expenditure. This ‘cost of work’ includes a wholerange of items, including the right suits, shirts, shoes and haircuts;travelling to work; networking with colleagues or clients; and buying thelatest electronic accessories. After travelling to and from work, the largest work-related cost is buyingsuits (£442 a year) followed by networking with work colleagues (£364 a year).And shirts and shoes combined cost the average worker more than £500 a year. Men spend nearly a fifth more than women on work-related items, perhapsreflecting their higher salaries – women spend more than their male colleagueson new shoes and haircuts whereas men spend more on everything else. Related posts:No related photos.last_img read more

9-year-old killed during beach outing

first_img…allegedly struck in water by jet skiA young boy lost his life after an alleged freak accident at the Number 63, Beach, Berbice, during an Emancipation Day outing.Dead is Daniel Mootoosammy, 9, a grade four student of Yakasary Primary and of Lot 1 South Yakasary, Black Bush Polder, Berbice.Reports are that the child, two of his brothers and an uncle went to the beach and were in the water when tragedy struck. Speaking with Guyana Times the dead child’s sister, Varshtie Mootoosammy, said she was toldDead: Daniel Mootoosammythat her brother was hit by a Jet Ski.According to her, Daniel was pronounced dead on arrival at the Skeldon Hospital where he was taken following the accident. Meanwhile, Police have since arrested an excavator operator of Crabwood Creek, Skeldon, Berbice, who was using the Jet Ski at the time the child was struck.The uncle, who took Daniel and his 13- and 12-year-old brothers, was too traumatised to speak. The child’s father, Veren Mootosammy told this publication that his son was having fun in the water when the incident occurred.The grieving father said it was the third time he had allowed the boy to go to the beach with his uncle. “Normally they would go in the corner of the water and bathe and play ball when they go to the beach,” he stated.He said the two elder brothers would visit the beach frequently with their uncle.Little Daniel leaves to mourn his parents, three brothers and three sisters.Police are continuing their investigations.last_img read more

Stena Forth drillship arrives in Guyana

first_imgGuyana moves one step closer toward oil production with the arrival of another drillship, the Stena Forth, which is expected to commence exploration offshore at the Orinduik Block.Earlier this month, oil and gas exploration company, Tullow Oil, had announced the commencement of its search for oil at the Orinduik Block.The Stena Forth drillshipThis operation was possible with the use of the Offshore Support Vessel (OSV) Pacific Leader. As such, the Maritime Department had alerted nearby vessels that the ship would be emitting international signals.This drilling exercise will run until December 31 of this year and the oil company is expected to drill about 82 nautical miles from the coast of Guyana and cover an area of 848 square kilometres.In another notice, the department explained that the company also commenced drilling in the Jethro-1 well site within the Orinduik Block. For this operation, the Mobile Offshore Drilling Unit, the newly arrived Stena Forth was sourced.Its drill site is about 95 nautical miles from Guyana’s coast and will cover an area of one square kilometre, bounded by other coordinates. The oil company first inked its interest into Guyana during the second quarter of 2013.In February 2019, Tullow had announced that it was bringing forward its drilling programme from the previously scheduled end of the year to the second quarter. It had announced that the Jethro prospect would be drilled in June. So far, plans have been announced to drill three wells here, namely the Jethro-Lobe, Joe and Carapa.Tullow’s partner in the Orinduik Block, Eco Atlantic, had announced that drilling on the Joe prospect will begin in mid-July of this year. They had announced that the Stena Forth drillship will move directly to the Joe after it finishes drilling the Jethro-Lobe well in the Orinduik Block. It is understood that the Joe is located in approximately 650 metres of water and will cost Eco Atlantic approximately US$3 million to drill. A recently published report from international company Gustavson Associates had estimated that the well has a 43.2 per cent chance of success.Tullow’s Head of Communications George Cazenove told the Guyana Times that jobs will be provided for the Guyanese populace.“Shared prosperity includes a firm commitment to local content… Tullow has made significant efforts in both East and West Africa to make sure that local companies, particularly small and medium-sized enterprises, are involved in the supply chain in the oil and gas developments we are involved with,” he was quoted as saying.Meanwhile, oil-giant Exxon Mobil has deployed four drillships for exploration purposes, where 13 massive discoveries were made. The fleet comprises the Stena Carron—which is working at the Longtail 1 discovery, the Noble Bob Douglas at the Liza Phase 1, the Noble Tom Madden at the Yellowtail Well, and Noble Don Taylor.ExxonMobil said there is potential for at least five Floating Productions, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessels on the Stabroek Block, producing more than 750,000 barrels of oil per day by 2025.The start-up of the Liza Phase 1 development is on track to begin by the first quarter of 2020 and will produce up to 120,000 barrels of oil per day utilising the Liza Destiny FPSO, which is expected to arrive in the country in the third quarter.Liza Phase 2 is expected to start up by mid-2022. A final investment decision is expected soon, subject to Government and regulatory approvals. Upon approval, the project plans to use the Liza Unity FPSO to produce up to 220,000 barrels per day. Sanctioning of a third development, Payara, is also expected in 2019, with start-up projected for 2023.The Stabroek Block is 6.6 million acres (26,800 square kilometres). ExxonMobil affiliate, Esso Exploration and Production Guyana Limited, is operator and holds 45 per cent interest in the Stabroek Block. Hess Guyana Exploration Limited holds 30 per cent interest and CNOOC Petroleum Guyana Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, holds 25 per cent interest.last_img read more

Mayweather, McGregor trade verbal jabs as countdown begins

first_imgLacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ McGregor and Mayweather passed each other after their separate introductions, with McGregor taunting the American with a shout of “Why didn’t you want to face off?” — triggering a melee between their two entourages.‘Intriguing fight’ A relaxed-looking Mayweather, meanwhile,  had earlier encouraged fans to bet on the fight finishing inside 12 rounds.“I talked to you before and said that this fight wouldn’t go the distance,” Mayweather said.“If you’re going to bet, bet it won’t go (the distance).”Mayweather did his best to play down his status as a heavy favorite, insisting that his two-year layoff from the ring had blunted his prowess.“That’s what makes this fight so intriguing, I’ve been out a few years, feel like I’ve lost a few steps,” Mayweather said.“So we’ll just have to wait and see.”Earlier Tuesday, Mayweather had taunted McGregor over his fitness, telling the US website FightHype that he believed his opponent would struggle to make the 154-pound limit for Saturday’s bout.“Conor McGregor is extremely heavy right now,” Mayweather said. “I think he’s 164 so he’s still got 10 pounds to go.” Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR View comments Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor. AFP/GETTY IMAGES FILE PHOTOFloyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor traded verbal jabs on Tuesday as the circus-like countdown to their money-spinning superfight cranked into overdrive on the Las Vegas Strip.Thousands of fans, including a sizeable contingent of Irish supporters,  thronged the heart of the Nevada boxing capital to greet Mayweather and McGregor at their separate formal grand arrival ceremonies.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Crawford wants winner of Pacquiao-Horn 2 Mayweather, the 40-year-old undefeated former welterweight boxing champion, has been lured out of retirement to face McGregor, a star of mixed martial arts’ Ultimate Fighting Championship.The two men meet in a 12-round contest under boxing rules on Saturday that is tipped to become the richest fight in history.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingThe cross-combat collision has appalled boxing purists, with many decrying the event as a farcical publicity stunt more in keeping with the choreographed traditions of WWE wrestling.Mayweather and McGregor, who clashed repeatedly during an expletive-laden world press tour to drum up interest for the fight last month, insist however that they are ready to deliver a battle for the ages.center_img NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games McGregor could face a painful financial penalty if he is unable to tip the scales inside the limit. Boxers often have the option of cancelling a fight or collecting a larger share of the purse if an opponent fails to make weight.Mayweather, who is expected to earn at least $100 million from Saturday’s contest, indicated he would take the money.“I get that extra money if you can’t make the weight,” Mayweather said. “Get those extra millions ready. UFC get those extra millions ready.”“If he don’t make the weight, we still going to fight but there’s going to be a heavy fine.”Mayweather has fought at 154 pounds before but is more used to fighting at welterweight (150 pounds). McGregor however has fought at 170 pounds in MMA.McGregor, 29, last week insisted he was in peak condition following a gruelling training camp that had taken him to “hell and back” and left him primed to face either a long or short fight.“There is no way in hell that I’m not ready to fight in the deepest of trenches in this contest,” McGregor said.“We are ready for both scenarios. I’m ready to go to war for 12 rounds and I’m ready to put him away early on.” Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo MOST READ McGregor, a massive underdog in what will be his first professional boxing fight, insisted Tuesday he was ready to stun the oddsmakers.“This is not even close to my toughest challenge ever. I will crumble him,” McGregor said.“I have adapted perfectly to boxing, I am very pleased and ready. I’m a special man, I will prove that August 26, this will go one or two rounds, maybe I will bang him out and hurt him.“If he survives, I will decide whether I embarrass or seriously hurt him.“I’m calm and cool, same as I am in every fight. I’m fit, sharp and I’m gonna be ruthless in there. I believe he’ll be unconscious inside one round.”ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more

London Olympics: India could surprise Holland in first Olympic hockey match, says coach Michael Nobbs

first_imgStanding at the River Bank arena and gazing into the cloudy London sky, the two stalwarts of Indian hockey Sandeep Singh and Ignace Tirkey soaked in the atmosphere on Sunday.These two men are sole survivors from the 2004 Athens Olympics and are again in focus because of their fitness as India begin their league campaign against former champions Holland.From Athens to London it has been one hell of a roller-coaster ride for Indian hockey. Having finished eighth in Athens, the team did not even qualify for the Beijing Olympics.Understandably, there was an outcry at home as our national sport had gone to the dogs. It was a harsh truth which was hard to digest and making it back to the Olympic fold earlier this year by winning the qualifier in New Delhi has come as a whiff of fresh air.However, one shouldn’t get fooled that this team is going to finish in the medal bracket as equations in global hockey have changed so drastically.Holland, India’s first opponent, were champions in Athens 1996 and Sydney 2000, but have lost some amount of grip after that.But if one is to hear coach Michael Nobbs ‘ words, then there is a statement in it. “Once these boys step on to the turf on Monday, there can be no denying they become Olympians. And that is a huge tag which you can’t take away,” said the Australian who has played at the highest level.India are currently ranked 10th in the world by the FIH and are placed with potent Germany, New Zealand, Korea and Belgium.In the other pool, neighbours Pakistan are placed with Britain, South Africa, Australia and Spain.On the eve of the big match, captain Bharat Chetr i was relaxed. “We want to produce a good display and are eager to show that the London connection with Indian hockey is not just symbolic,” said Chetri.The overall mood and sense is that world champions Australia and Olympic champions Germany will again be hot contenders for the title.As regards Pakistan, their hockey has been in turmoil after they won gold in the Guangzhou Asian Games and qualified for the London Olympics.Frequent change in the officialdom of the Pakistan Hockey Federation and treating players shabbily has been their bane. And when some of their players came to India recently for the cash-rich World Hockey League, it led to a bigger uproar.How well the Asian champions can take these upheavals in their stride remains to be seen.Back to India, not having played Holland recently could be a boon says Nobbs. “We could surprise them with our play as we have had a change in the team with a lot of youngsters turning out in this particular Olympics,” said Nobbs.While nobody is expecting miracles from the Indian hockey team, they have worked hard on their fitness. After the highs and lows of battles between two federations in India, matters have settled.Common perception is that the Indian Hockey Federation ruined the sport and in the four years after failing to make it to Beijing, there is now more exposure and inputs for the Indian team.Even though Hockey India, which now runs the sport has its share of detractors at home, the good thing is we are at least there at the London Olympics.advertisementlast_img read more

Hats off

first_imgShangri-La’s Eros Hotel is celebrated the ninth  International Chef’s Day on 20 October 2013 to honour our culinary masters and to recognise the pivotal role chefs play in society.It is also a day for helping young chefs. Most importantly, though it is a day to recognise the very important role that chefs play in our societies because, they have a great responsibility of not feeding people, but also giving nourishment and education. Chefs are responsible for leading the way in using ingredients sensibly and responsibly. The day was planned to salute their culinary spirit and their art of crafting magic for the taste buds. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’Under the helm of Executive Chef Darren Conole, the cooking masters geared up to make the day special for guests and society. Not just a brunch and lunch, the day held a cake mixing ceremony in the lobby of Shangri-La’s that brought to life the rich tradition, heralding and unveiling the  spirit of the festive season in all its grandeur. Guests rolled up their sleeves and put their hands in the mixing pots to make the perfect Christmas cake. The mixture was placed in airtight bags and left to mature until around Christmas, when it will be blended with the cake batter and baked.After the traditional ceremony, the chefs took a walk to India Gate driving a noble cause of ‘Clean Delhi for a Green Future’ to pick up the trash that mars the beauty of the iconic Delhi landmark.Food, tradition and a keen foresight for the future. What better way to celebrate the power of chefs than this! Head over to Shangri-La to experience a piece of this magic.last_img read more

IT officials seize cash gold worth over Rs 4cr

first_imgKolkata: After conducting reconnaissance in disguise for several days, Income Tax officials seized Rs 1.5 crore of unaccounted cash and 8 kg of gold worth Rs 2.63 crore from hawala operators in Bengal, an official said on Thursday. “Based on credible inputs regarding suspicious activities of unaccounted cash and gold trading activities being carried out at Burra Bazar area and nearby places, our officials seized more than Rs 1.5 crore in cash and 8 kg of gold biscuits worth Rs 2.63 crore in two days from hawala operators and unaccounted gold traders,” an IT official said. During the search and seizure operation, several incriminating physical and electronic evidences were seized, the official said. IT officials have so far seized over Rs 28.77 crore of unaccounted cash, jewellery and bullion from the state after the announcement of the Lok Sabha elections, the official said.last_img read more