Seven more Pakistan players tested positive for COVID-19

first_imgSEVEN more Pakistan players have tested positive for coronavirus, taking the total to 10.However, players who have tested negative will depart for the tour of England on June 28.Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chief executive Wasim Khan said: “The tour to England is very much on track and the side will depart as per schedule.”Pakistan are due to meet England in three Tests and three Twenty20s, beginning in August.Speaking when only three cases were known, England director of cricket Ashley Giles said: “We’re hopeful that Pakistan will be arriving fairly soon.“We’re far enough away from the Test series to not worry about that too much at the moment.”Haider Ail, Haris Rauf and Shadab Khan showed no symptoms before testing positive on Sunday.They have now been joined by Fakhar Zaman, Imran Khan, Kashif Bhatti, Mohammad Hafeez, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Rizwan and Wahab Riaz, along with team masseur Malang Ali, after further tests were carried out on Monday.All 11 individuals have been told to observe “strict quarantine at their homes”.The players and management staff who have tested negative will still meet up today, undergo further testing tomorrow, and depart for the UK as planned. They will be tested again within 24 hours of their arrival.Players who have tested positive will have to return two negative tests before they are allowed to travel.Khan added: “The recent positive tests of some of the fittest athletes, who had not shown any symptoms, clearly reflect the danger this virus possesses.“As regards the players, who have tested positive, we will continue to monitor and support them, including conducting antibody tests, and as soon as they test negative they will be flown to join the squad in England.”As of yesterday morning, there had been 185 034 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Pakistan, resulting in 3 695 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University.England’s matches this summer, beginning with three Tests against West Indies, are set to be played behind closed doors in bio-secure environments at Southampton and Old Trafford.England’s 30-man training group arrived in Southampton yesterday to prepare for the series with West Indies, which starts on July 8.Giles said: “The situation in Pakistan is not great at the moment and our thoughts go out to the whole country.“All of this has uncertainty. We know how fast moving this has been around the world, so we have been very careful at every step. Do we really know what is around the corner? No.“The bubble at Southampton and Old Trafford, we are trying to create environments that mitigate as much risk as we possibly can.”Pakistan named a 29-man squad for the tour, with four additional players put on standby in case of positive tests.Before the news of the seven additional positive tests, Giles said he did not think the tour would be placed in further jeopardy by more confirmed cases.“We are still far enough out even if a number of those tests are still positive,” he said.“There are a number of hurdles to cross. We’re hopeful that we can get international sport on. It will be a real fillip for people around the world.”Meanwhile, New Zealand’s two-Test tour of Bangladesh, which was scheduled for August, has been postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic. (BBC Sport)last_img read more

Housing market finally cools off

first_imgThe home sales market in the Santa Clarita Valley is returning to normal, not generating the spectacular profits that marked the past two years, but staying solid, real estate experts said. Sales of single-family homes in the region were up 11.7 percent in January compared with a year ago. The month saw escrows close on 172 houses, compared with 154 in January 2006. The market is expected to be steady in the year ahead. “It’s not going to be like it was the last two or three years, where we were seeing huge numbers of sales and huge price increases,” said Larry Gasinski, president of the Santa Clarita Valley division of the Southland Regional Association of Realtors Inc. In January, the median price of a single-family home in the valley went down to $587,900, compared to $620,000 a year ago, a 5.2 percent decrease, according to the association. The median price of a condominium was $360,000 in January. In January 2006, it was 9.3 percent higher, at $397,000. There were 73 condominium salesin January, compared to 82 in January 2006, a difference of 11 percent. Unlike in recent months, sellers are less likely to dip their toes in the market and pick up the for-sale sign if they cannot get their asking price, said Pam Ingram, with Remax of Santa Clarita. “I think the market has definitely picked back up,” Ingram said. “I don’t see that prices are going up a lot, but they’re also not going down. I’ve seen prices level off, but the buyers are back out buying. It looks like it’s going to be a good year.” There is more than a seven-month inventory of homes on the market, while about a six-month inventory is considered a balanced market. Home sales dropped by nearly one-third from 2005 to last year, but prices held their own. Realtors sold 2,531 single-family homes last year compared with the 2005 tally of of 3,726. Condo sales fell from 1,771 in 2005 to 1,246. The good news was the median price of a house held at $590,000, just $10,000 lower that the previous year. Put in perspective, a home sold today is worth an average of nearly three times the $204,742 median of 1998, the first full year data were available. The median price of a condo was $360,000 in 2006, compared with $389,000 in 2005 and $124,158 in 1998. MORE INFO: Santa Clarita Valley homeownership rate: 75 percent Median home price: $590,000 Median condo price: $360,000 Average house rent: $1,598 Average rent: one-bedroom, one-bath: $1,240 Housing authority: Los Angeles County Community Development Commission, (323) 890-7001, www.lacdc.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Hacker Poll: What’s Your Favorite JavaScript Library?

first_imgTags:#hack#Polls Why You Love Online Quizzes According to an October survey of nearly 1,000,000 websites by W3Techs, JQuery is by far the most popular JavaScript library. “61.0% of the websites use none of the javascript libraries that we monitor,” a post on the W3Techs site says. “JQuery is used by 29.2% of all the websites, that is a javascript library market share of 74.7%.”It looks like W3Techs’ methodology is more sound than the TIOBE Index we posted recently. But regardless of the popularity, what is your favorite library? For simplicity’s sake we’re asking for your favorite, not necessarily the “best” or even the one you use the most.Here are the results of the W3Techs survey: 7 Types of Video that will Make a Massive Impac… Related Posts center_img How to Write a Welcome Email to New Employees? klint finley Growing Phone Scams: 5 Tips To Avoidlast_img read more

Apple’s Brilliant TV Strategy: Speak Softly And Carry A Big Content Stick

first_img5 Outdoor Activities for Beating Office Burnout Apple has said little and shown even less regarding its future plans for streaming content to your television, and that’s precisely why they’ve got a competitive advantage in the space. Where Google faltered by putting the tech before the content, Apple knows the tech is worthless without the content.Cable operators’ days of ruling our TV sets are drawing slowly to a close, but the power brokers who hold the distribution rights to your favorite shows are loathe to give up control of how and where programming flows. Where Google and Boxee failed, and upstarts like Fanhattan face a monumental battle, is in getting cable operators and content studios to play ball with them. Conversely, getting the biggest content providers to play ball is precisely how iTunes-era Apple has excelled. Both under Steve Jobs and Tim Cook, Apple has shown it knows better than to publicly tout disruptive mainstream media technology without talking to the media studios first.That’s why Cook’s keeping his mouth shut in public until the licensing deals with cable operators and content studios are worked out in private.(See also: Google Has A Trojan Horse To Disrupt TV: Really, Really Big Data)Learning From Google’s FailingsGoogle TV shipped with nary a cable operator or content studio content deal in sight, relying instead on an NBA.com app and Web browser that supported Flash video. Heck, Netflix didn’t even work when the first Logitech Revue GTV box hit store shelves. The Google TV Web browser was technologically capable of display full-screen HD video streamed through television networks’ websites, enabling users to view at least some cable content on their big screen TVs without actually subscribing to a cable service. But the networks and content studios quickly took umbrage with Google’s approach and blocked the GTV browser from accessing their video content. Initially hyped by Google and its OEM partners, the platform quickly failed.Meantime, Apple has slowly grown their Apple TV “hobby” into a $1.3-billion business, shipping six million of the $99 devices in the past twelve months alone. Apple surely could have built their television box to grab video from network web sites, but they instead chose the high road, business-wise. The closest thing to network TV Apple TV offers is downloadable content for purchase via the iTunes store. Relegating Apple TV to hobby status has allowed the company to build a user base, refine their technology and wait for the cable companies and studios to come around to the inevitable Internet video revolution without upsetting the status quo.Which brings us to Glenn Britt.The Writing Is On The (Video Screen) WallTime Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt made news Tuesday when he told investors to “assume we’re talking to everyone who makes devices [that stream online video], whether it’s Samsung smart TVs, Apple, Microsoft.” Britt’s comments are newsworthy because TWC is just about the only cable operator willing to play ball with the makers of these Internet video devices. Cable companies by and large want control of everything, including the boxes that connect to subscribers’ televisions and the user interfaces those boxes display along side programming.The forthcoming Microsoft Xbox One and Fanhattan Fan TV devices both promise to integrate TV content from cable companies with their own user interface and functionality. In other words, they’re hacking the cable box to offer a (presumably) better user experience than what the cable companies themselves provide.(See also: Xbox One: Microsoft’s Big Bid To Pwn The Living Room)Problem is, neither Microsoft nor Fan TV announced any cable partnerships when they trotted out their fancy new gear. Great as both products may be – and they do both look great – they’re not going to do much for your TV experience without TV shows. And for the time being, TV shows means cable companies. Maybe Fanhattan and Microsoft are sitting on unannounced agreements with Comcast and Cox, but if they’re not, then both companies just set some pretty high user experience expectations they simply cannot meet without inking a few deals.Which brings us back to Apple.Speak Softly and Carry Consumer DataApple has shown that it knows consumer technology (iPod, iPhone and iPad), and Apple has shown it knows how to disrupt old media (iTunes). And if the rumors prove correct, Apple is about to embark on showing they know how to leverage consumer data to sell targeted advertising (iRadio).Sure, TV studios are acutely aware of how iTunes ate the music biz’ lunch when mp3s sent vinyl the way of the dinosaur. But TV studios also know that internet upstarts like Netflix are already leading a similar charge in the realm of video. It stands to reason that they’d rather play ball with a proven winner than go kicking and screaming into the night while Amazon, HBO Go, and Netflix make hay on a new generation of Internet-only cable cutters. Not to mention that unlike Amazon and Netflix, Apple isn’t producing their own programming and so poses less of a competitive threat to the studios and cable operators.The odds that Apple starts manufacturing and selling their own big screen HDTVs are pretty small. Margins on televisions aren’t that big anymore, and Apple is built on high margins. Expect instead to see a revamped Apple TV box when Tim Cook & co. unveil their grand vision for television. The next-generation Apple TV might take the place of your current cable box, or it might be sold to you by the cable company themselves. And it might be controllable from your iPhone, with your voice, or simply gesturing through the air with your hands. Nobody outside of Apple knows, if those inside the company are yet sure themselves.But one thing’s certain about Apple’s television strategy: We won’t see any grand new technologies in public until content deals have been done in private. Apple knows content is king, and that’s why they’re better poised than anyone to thrive in the new age of online TV. Related Posts 9 Books That Make Perfect Gifts for Industry Ex… Tags:#Apple TV center_img 4 Keys to a Kid-Safe App noah kravitz 12 Unique Gifts for the Hard-to-Shop-for People…last_img read more

#Donotretiredhoni trends: Fans urge MS Dhoni to stay on

first_imgIndian cricket fans were heart-broken as Team India crashed out of the World Cup after suffering an 18-run loss to New Zealand in the first semifinal at Old Trafford on Wednesday.Chasing a modest target of 240, the Indian top order suffered a stunning batting collapse to leave the team reeling at 24 for four.But the fans knew MS Dhoni was the man who could take them over the finish line in a crunch semi-final. Dhoni walked in to bat after the dismissal of Dinesh Karthik as India’s score read 71 for 5.Dhoni went on to score 50 and add 106 runs for the seventh wicket with Ravindra Jadeja. Had it not been for Dhoni and of course Jadeja, India would have suffered a much bigger defeat in the semi-final against New Zealand.Ravindra Jadeja fell to Trent Boult for a valiant 77 but with MS Dhoni at the crease, there was still a belief that India would be able to gun down the total and seal a ticket to the Lord’s final on July 14.But as Martin Guptill’s direct throw hit the stumps to run out India’s wicket-keeper batsman, India lost all hopes for a World Cup final qualification.MS Dhoni had been criticised for his strike rate and strike rotation in the 2019 Cricket World Cup as India battled New Zealand in the semi-final, Dhoni showed once again why he is still important to the team’s balance.As MS Dhoni was rumoured to announce his retirement from cricket at the end of the World Cup, fans across the globe have made emotional appeals urging MS Dhoni not to retire and #Donotretiredhoni was trending on Twitter.advertisement#donotretiredhoni Please dont take retirement Mahi We love u THE LEGEND OF CRICKET @msdhoni pic.twitter.com/g9lbxeyB33Nivedita Sujith (@NiveditaSujith) July 11, 2019#donotretiredhoni please sir please I’m believe in Number 7 & you are truly legend and fighter #MSDlove and forever inspiring to every youth please sir do not retire pic.twitter.com/Fl9Gc8Jqj5Sunil Prajapati (@Imsunil122) July 11, 2019#donotretiredhoniHey Msd we are watching your Batting since we were able to understand cricket,your are our super hero,last hope of Millions of your fan.dont disappointment them,Play for india until you have believe on yourself. Love you MSD.#Lasthope pic.twitter.com/vUSmI3eFvYprateek jain (@prateeks1129) July 11, 2019#donotretiredhoniThumb fractureStill tried his bestGod level character pic.twitter.com/IkHSvprKxFDhoni183 (@msdhonifans7781) July 11, 2019#donotretiredhoni my inspiration my god my roll model Love you thala pic.twitter.com/wFSjZcaLG8hari haran (@hariharan1379) July 11, 2019Also Read | World Cup 2019: Move aside Vijay Shankar, Ravindra Jadeja is the 3D cricketer India needAlso Read | Virat Kohli got everything he wanted but where is the World Cup?Also See:last_img read more

10 months agoBarcelona coach Valverde confirms Munir leaving

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Barcelona coach Valverde confirms Munir leavingby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona coach Ernesto Valverde has confirmed Munir El Haddadi is leaving.The 54-year-old tactician has clarified that both the Blaugrana and the Spanish-Moroccan have decided to part ways.”Munir has made a decision and the club has also taken it,” he told a press conference on Wednesday.”We want a solution as soon as possible, if possible during this market.”I have nothing against Munir, as he has played and trained well and I don’t have much more to say about it.” last_img

Boxship Catches Fire off Singapore

first_imgzoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license A 9,092 TEU containership owned by China’s COSCO Shipping Lines caught fire on August 23, while it was en route to Singapore. As informed, a dense smoke was detected in hold number 4 of MV COSCO Shipping Thames voyage 6E.The crew activated the fire extinguisher system and subsequently put out the fire, German shipping company Hapag-Lloyd said.At the time of the incident, the boxship was carrying more than 30 containers which were not affected by the fire.An investigation into the causes of the fire has been launched.Due to the longer stay in Singapore, the vessel is likely to bypass its call at Hong Kong port. COSCO Shipping Thames departed for China’s Yangshan Port on August 29, the ship’s AIS data from VesselsValue shows.“We very much regret any inconvenience caused, which in this case is beyond our control,” Hapag-Lloyd further said.Built in 2017, the vessel is deployed in the Asia to South America Eastcoast (ASE) service.last_img read more